Current:Home > reviewsPredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:Around 3,000 jobs at risk at UK’s biggest steelworks despite government-backed package of support -Capitatum
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:Around 3,000 jobs at risk at UK’s biggest steelworks despite government-backed package of support
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 07:48:51
LONDON (AP) — Around 3,PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center000 workers at Britain’s biggest steelworks face the prospect of losing their jobs as part of a government-backed package Friday to make the plant “greener.”
In an announcement, the British government confirmed widespread speculation that it is to pump up to 500 million pounds ($620 million) into the Port Talbot steelworks in south Wales.
Tata, the Indian conglomerate that owns the steelworks, will use the funding to help switch the plant’s two coal-fired blast furnaces to electric arc versions that can run on zero-carbon electricity.
“This proposal is a landmark moment for maintaining ongoing U.K. steel production, supporting sustainable economic growth, cutting emissions and creating green jobs,” said Treasury chief Jeremy Hunt.
Tata, which employs around 8,000 people across the U.K., will also invest around 750 million pounds into the project, but cautioned that the plans will lead to consultations over a “deep potential restructuring” — code for job losses.
In a separate statement Friday, Britain’s Department for Business and Trade said the deal will only safeguard around 5,000 jobs out of Tata’s total workforce.
Tata said the deal lays out a future for sustainable steel-making in the area and committed to undertake a “meaningful” consultation with unions.
“With the support of the U.K. government and dedicated efforts of the employees of Tata Steel U.K. along with all stakeholders, we will work to transform Tata Steel UK into a green, modern, future-ready business,” said Tata Steel’s chief executive and managing director, TV Narendran.
The deal comes two months after Tata confirmed plans to build a 4 billion-pound battery factory in the U.K. after also getting subsidies from the government.
Unions were furious about the potential job losses.
“The cost to local people and the wider Port Talbot community will be immense,” said Gary Smith, general secretary of the GMB trade union. “Once again, we have the spectacle of leaders talking up the fantasy land of a ‘just transition’ while the bitter reality for workers is them getting the sack.”
The 1.25 billion-pound furnaces are expected to be up and running within three years of getting regulatory and planning approvals.
Tata warned last year that its U.K. operations were under threat unless it secured government funding to help it move to less carbon-intensive electric arc furnaces.
Luke Murphy, head of the fair transition unit at the Institute for Public Policy Research think tank, said the government had “ignored or abandoned” the interests of unions and workers.
“The use of coal in steelmaking must come to an end but this looks like a bad deal for workers, the wider community in Port Talbot, and for Britain,” he said.
He noted that Germany has invested over $53 billion in decarbonising heavy industry and has committed to work with unions and protect jobs.
“The U.K. has nothing like the scale of this commitment and has done nothing to make conditions more favourable for investment,” he added.
veryGood! (14)
Related
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Hawaii officials aim to help Lahaina rebuild after wildfires ravaged historic town
- Oscars 2024: Matthew McConaughey and Camila Alves Have a Stellar Date Night
- A big night for Hollywood fashion: Oscars red carpet live updates
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Dead man's body driven to bank and used to withdraw money, 2 Ohio women face charges
- 2024 starting pitcher rankings: Spencer Strider, Gerrit Cole rule the mound
- ‘Oppenheimer’ set to overpower at the Oscars Sunday night
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Mark Ronson Teases Ryan Gosling's Bananas 2024 Oscars Performance of I'm Just Ken
Ranking
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Let These Photos of Former Couples at the Oscars Award You a Trip Down Memory Lane
- Francis Ngannou says Anthony Joshua KO wasn't painful: 'That's how I know I was knocked out'
- Biden's new ad takes on his age: I'm not a young guy
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- 2024 Oscars: You’ll Want to Hear Ariana Grande Raving About Wicked
- Boeing says it can’t find work records related to door panel that blew out on Alaska Airlines flight
- Gold ring found in Sweden about 500 years after unlucky person likely lost it
Recommendation
Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
Biden plans $30 million ad blitz and battleground state visits as general election campaign begins
Shania Twain, Viola Davis, others honored with Barbie dolls for Women's Day, 65th anniversary
Mark Ronson Teases Ryan Gosling's Bananas 2024 Oscars Performance of I'm Just Ken
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
States have hodgepodge of cumbersome rules for enforcing sunshine laws
More than 63,000 infant swings recalled due to suffocation risk
70-foot sperm whale beached off Florida’s Gulf Coast